8.4.15

"THE LIE CALLED SHY..."

This post is dedicated to the 'shy' ones, the quiet ones, the introverted ones, the ones who have lived in fear of others for far too many years. You see, I was basically all of the above growing up. Not because my childhood sucked, because it didn't, it could not have been better actually. It was primarily because I for some reason was just, well, a little quieter than others.

For those that know me you'll laugh out loud now. The way I live my life now-a-days is the polar opposite of those things. I discovered something powerful... A fact about life that was shown to me through others... It set me free to be who I truly am. This truth caused me to realise that you & I carry authority in our words, in the way we carry ourselves, and in the way we treat others.


Throughout my school years (K-12) I was really intimidated by others. Always worried if people would like me, or would want to be friends with me. Because of this I would shy away from others, from opportunities, and especially opportunities to be myself. Although when I was around those closest to me, my friends and family, I was loud, inappropriate at times, and full of life. 

To be shy means 'to be nervous or awkward in the presence of others'. It carries with it a lack of comfort. When you're with unfamiliar people or in unfamiliar situations you freak out. I can even go as far to say that a low self-esteem, to some degree, causes us to become shy. I HATE, with a burning passion, the word shy. Why? Because how many times have I myself said I am shy, or, heard others say "oh, I'm really shy that's why..." and it angers me to my bones. Why I would define myself by this word, I do not know.

In my later teen years in high school I heard a mentor of mine say "being shy is selfish, you always think about you, how you look & how others view you..." and for some reason, from that day on, I swore in my heart I would never speak that over my life ever again. Since that moment in my life I gradually began to grow in my confidence and carry myself with an aura of joy and gladness. I wanted to be able to make a fool of myself so that others would be set free to be the same. Like post a photo of me on Instagram pulling the worlds ugliest face I legit couldn't care less. We need more people like this in the world. 


One thing I love about being near the open waters is that I am always reminded how much more life has to offer. My eyes are drawn out and over the horizon, beyond the shoreline... beyond my comfort. The ocean is most definitely not shy. It's wild, it's untamed, it's unpredictable, it's not confined to four walls (it's confined to shorelines lol, rain on the other hand...), and no set of waves or swell is like the one that went before it. The ocean is beautiful yet dangerous in its pursuit. It is unrestricted, yet poised with grace. It frees my soul & my spirit. I want to live my life with the same characteristics. I wish I could hug the ocean & thank it for its inspiration. Gees that would be a sight to see. "Hey guys just here hugging the ocean" (falls straight through the water). I also cannot wait to live near the beach one day... ;) I AM OBSESSED.
       

Others have shown me through their example that the shy ones need to be shown what it is to live free from fear. I love drawing out the personality from others. I love watching quiet people become a little louder, a little more brave to use their voice and their personality to ensure others feel like they a part of the greater cause. I've had my fair share of being left out and pushed to the side. So I decided I want others to be empowered to realise how great they actually are, and how great their dream is. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad to be a little introverted or lean towards the quiet side, I am talking more about living gripped by fear of others. I admire a quiet confidence. It's shyness that needs encouragement and a little voice saying "come on you can do it!".


Now that I am heading down the path that I am, desiring to grow a business in the years to come, I am so thankful I got over being shy. It's so dumb really. Shyness stinks, it's a lie, it's an unrealistic description of ones character and personality. I didn't change overnight, it was an almost 12+ year journey. Although I wouldn't trade the lesson for anything in the world. I grew up and experienced all of this in order that I now have a nak of allowing others to be set free from this lie we call shy.

Chao.

Jemimah Ana


(Photos top to bottom: Bondi 1st three, selfie, Vaucluse bays)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jemimah, so much wisdom in these words. I never saw you as shy, just sweet and quiet.
    xx

    ReplyDelete